MANHATTAN, Kan. (KSNT) – USD 383 Board of Education held a meeting Wednesday concerning the Manhattan High School Committee recommendations.
The following committee recommendations were adopted unanimously:
- Name the commons area at MHS west campus “Frank Prentup Commons”, with an exhibit about Frank Prentup and local Native American history, religion and culture.
- Work with the Manhattan-Ogden Public Schools Foundation to set up a student scholarship and/or a teacher grant.
- Inclusion of local Native American history, religion, culture and contemporary issues in curricular and professional learning considerations of the district.
- Develop a committee to assist and advise efforts of diversity awareness, educational equity, and reduction of racial, ethnic and economic prejudice.
- Student Council consideration and possible recommendation of a mascot for the students to rally around, which is distinct from the Indian name and the image.
Regarding the final recommendation of the above list, students will have until December to make any recommendations they want to make, if they chose to.