TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) — Topeka Fire ruled a townhome fire in southwest Topeka accidental.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m Monday, in the 5000 block of SW 28th Street, just east of Fairlawn, according to Topeka Police Dispatch.
When crews arrived, they found the two-story wood framed multi-unit complex with heavy smoke and flames showing from the rear below-grade garage.
According to Topeka Fire, the fire was associated with a portable heating source too close to combustible materials within the garage.
Witnesses told KSNT News they heard a “boom” and came out to see the back of the building on fire.
Traffic was being blocked on 28th Street while crews worked to put the fire out.
No injuries were reported, but three units within the complex were deemed uninhabitable for the night.
The estimated dollar loss is $80,000.