USOC: No plans for American bid for 2026 Olympics

Volunteers take photos in front of the Olympic rings near the finish area during men's downhill training at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Jeongseon, South Korea, Friday, Feb. 9, 2018. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea (AP) The chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee says there will be no American bid for the 2026 Winter Games but the USOC will keep its options open for 2030.

Larry Probst said the financial logistics of hosting the Winter Olympics two years before Los Angeles hosts the Summer Games in 2028 are too complex.

There is a possibility the IOC could award 2026 and 2030 together, and Probst said if that’s the case, the USOC is prepared to be part of the process.

Earlier this week, Salt Lake City said it would try to become the American candidate for a 2030 bid; Denver is also considering a bid.

More AP Olympic coverage: https://wintergames.ap.org

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s